Thursday 28 September 2017

30

"30".

The silence lingers, an unwelcomed hitchhiker.

He hoped the other two didn't notice the slight tremble in his voice. From the backseat, the other two passengers remain stoic, quiet. Eerily muted.

The co-pilot clears his throat, dislodging the phlegm courtesy of his briyani lunch. "What do you mean? Why 30?"

"That's when his responsibilities extend beyond himself; he'll be busy taking care of his parents while starting a family of his own... " the driver interjects.

Beyond himself. That's a nice way of putting it.

Our main subject continues: "Exactly. So until then, I will need to set myself up for the best career opportunity out there."

He angles his body forward. "That means getting enough funding to get a Master's Degree in the best spot I could afford, and getting into a long-term job that I'm actually okay with."

The two remain silent. They knew that nothing they could say would dent the orator's moral momentum.

"Once I turn 30, all bets are off. If I don't get my Master's by then, then it's too bad. I'll just need to knuckle down and work on providing the best future for my family."

Family. Our protagonist slumps back onto his seat, his mind grappling with the harsh reality and expectations he so willingly encumbered himself with.

"30. That's when I start slowly killing all my dreams".

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: