Saturday 17 August 2013

Suffice

"You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful and then you actually talk to them and five minutes later they're as dull as a brick? Then there's other people, when you meet them you think, "Not bad. They're okay." And then you get to know them and... and their face just sort of becomes them. Like their personality's written all over it. And they just turn into something so beautiful."

- Amy Pond

Enough said.  This quote was taken from Doctor Who, via stumbleupon.com.  

Not much has happened in the past few days, besides watching the Dota 2 competition and work, with itty bitty stuff in between.  Team Orange from Malaysia made it to the Semi-finals of the Dota 2 competition and although I'm not a fan of the game, I must admit that they were pretty good, albeit unfortunate to not beat their opponents, Navi.

Plus, I'm starting to watch Dexter, which is a nice show to watch.  Currently at Season 3 out of 8.  It's dark, a bit bloody, but fun and thought-provoking.

The next day saw Yan Yao, Yen Fei and I on a day trip to Kansas City, which bridges the state of Missouri and Kansas.  We initially intended to go for Oklahoma Joe's (the "Original Gas Station" branch), with it's long list of merits, plus the experience of gracing Chef Anthony Bourdain.  The queue for the place however, was a big no-no.  So we opted for Smokehouse BBQ instead, which was super nice as well.

The line had stretched all the way to the back alley

With stuffed bellies, we drove about the city and took some shots:


College Basketball Experience

It was a fun trip, albeit a energy-sapping one, especially for Yan Yao.  Still, it was great to hang out with my two besties, evidently patching things up with Yen Fei.  We bought a Five Guys burger for dinner and that was amazing as well.  Well Kansas, you're another name to cross of my checklist.  That's 11 states out of 50.  I'm thrilled, but not so speculative *wink*.

I even tried out Taco Tuesdays at Es Tas, which were 89 cents per taco.  They were nice, but tiny.  So not knowing that, I under-ordered.  I need to make a mental note to get at least four tacos next time.  A pair of them were measly.  Nice, but short-lived.

Besides that, most nights spent here in Todd Drive involved Texas Hold 'Em poker with the seniors.  With a buy-in of two bucks, it was a really tempting offer.  I was rather rusty on the first night, as I almost forgot how the game ran.  But one thing of which I enjoyed the most that night was playing with loose hands, as being the newcomer made me unpredictable to the table of eight others.  Of course, that evidently led me to being ousted many, many times.  Since I was in the mood (plus having a job the following day which pays for my buy-ins), I bought in 4 times after going bust, which amounted to $8.  However, I had a good streak of cards and luck, and had managed to fish, bluff, and lucked my way to a $12 cash-out.  That felt pretty good, earning $4 on my first try.  The next two nights were uneventful, as we had four-man games, with not much pot moving around (that, and the fact that I lost a bit).  After the three-day rally, I left the place with a gain of 2 quarters.  Funny, but not that funny.

Moreover, I have taken a two-week break from work so that I have time to unwind before the semester recommences.  Upon turning in my time sheet, my boss had called me over for a discussion.  Ever-curious and obedient (it IS work, after all), I motioned over to his desk.  With a smile on his face, he slowly produced a 10 dollar note from his back pocket, and said:  "This is between you and me, but here you go.  You worked really hard this Summer and here's my token of thanks" - or somewhere along those lines.  Nevertheless, I was overjoyed.  Initially I thought of turning down the offer, but I think the refusal would  upset him, so I graciously accepted it.  With a large smile on our faces, I bade him goodbye.  That had made my day. 

Kelly just got here last night and we'll be heading out to run her errands soon.  In fact, we need to head out in about 5 minutes time.  Furthermore, Liverpool started the new season with a 1-0 win against Stoke, with our new keeper saving a penalty.  Good start indeed!

That's it for now.  Gotta gear up.  Ciao!

Dreaming - Smallpools

No comments: