Monday 18 April 2016

Effort

This has bothered me for a while now. It's about time for me to want to put it out there.

Many people, family, friends, colleagues, whatever, tend to ask the same question upon learning that I did my Bachelor's Degree in The United States of America:

"Why didn't you just work in The States?"

Seems harmless, but the implications are so infuriating. Oh, here comes the rant.

Why didn't YOU work at The States yourself, if you thought it was that easy? I don't see you complaining for not being able to ply your trade over there. What, you think just because you want to work there means you're entitled to a job there as well? You think I didn't realise that opportunity, that I didn't give a rat's ass of remotely trying to get a job there?

I applied for 104 jobs. One hundred and four fucking jobs. I got 3 interviews out of the lot, and that's already a good number for most International students. Out of that, I had a single job offer, with a Fortune 500 company.

I worked hard to get there. I busted my ass time and time again, even when I didn't need to or shouldn't have to. So you can sod off with your harmlessly condescending question.

Let me set this straight. I am much more qualified that most of the fresh grads out there, and that's not because I'm cocky. I know for a fact that I am because I toiled to realize my ability and potential. Don't you be thinking that I couldn't get a job there. I did.

And it's shitty that I had to turn it down. It's gut wrenching. It's depressing. And I've had my grovel about it, and I won't let that weigh me down. Not anymore.

So why am I upset by it? Is it due to my missed opportunity at working with one of the biggest companies in my industry? Perhaps it's down to the fact that I can't justify my involvement in all those philanthropic work over my college years?

Or mainly because, I fucked up my best chance of working there. Ever.

Either way, that was the card I've been dealt. Now I need to reassess, and bounce back. Just you wait until I get better.

That, I can be bullish about. Rant over.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: