Tuesday 25 February 2014

Spatial

Now, for a positive post (like, FINALLY!). 

This season's been a joy to watch football.  As in, the Barclays Premier League.  It's not because bitter rivals Manchester United and rolling about in 7th place, it's not because the Malaysian-owned Cardiff City has a dingbat of an owner (sorry dude, but that's how I feel) and it's certainly not because Chelsea has the Special One back as gaffer.

No, no and *pause* no.  It's all about the Merseyside Redmen!  This seems to be the season for Liverpool.  I know there's still half a season to go, but sitting comfortably in 4th place with a 5-point cushion from 5th place Spurs, is a pretty good position to be in this point of the season.

Credit to Brendan Rogers for shaping the team to a "Pass and Move" based team.  The way the team have been playing is immense, combining high pressure with high tempo build up.  In fact, we're demolishing some teams for fun, bringing back memories of the 08/09 season, where we eventually finished runners-up in the league.  

We still have a few big fixtures ahead, like Spurs and Man U away, but with a rather thin squad, we're making it count.  To keep things realistic, a Top Four placing is a must, this season more than any other.  We'll keep believing, and I'll keep forcing myself to watch early game fixtures.  This is our season, and we will make it count.  YNWA!

On a separate note, my footballing "career" has kinda hit a stumbling block.  I know it's still rather early for a player to stop developing at my age, but I seem to find it hard to play well in small teams, like in futsal.  I've definitely improved my ball skills from previous years, as I heavily emphasized on first touch and dribbling.  However, the same cannot be said about my limited passing range, or my fitness.  Especially in congested areas, I still can't find that calmness on the ball to play out of danger, and my lack of proper physique does not help at all.  Well, at least I can still enjoy and appreciate the game.  Spring can't come soon enough, as it seems I'm more comfortable playing on firm ground rather than on artificial turf.  Somehow the latter screws around with my balance, and balance is key for any player.

I still have a few more years to develop, eh?

Ships in the Night - Mat Kearney

No comments: