Thursday 21 January 2016

Clause

This regards to my housemates and I trying to cancel our lease, since two (out of the three) aren’t in The States, and one more is about to leave.  I need a medium to vent, because I find this situation… difficult.  Sorry, readers.

To give some context to this situation, I had asked said friend (let’s call him O) to try and meet up one-on-one with the owner/landlord/whoever who owns our place to discuss the cancellation of our rental lease.  Previously, O had met with the office to hand over a formal letter requesting for termination of our renting lease (it wasn’t one from the looks of it, which aggravates me, but that’s beside the point).  However, I brought up that it would be more efficient to cut out the middle man (or in this case, office) and approach the owner instead.  That way, communication would be swifter and his presence (or case) would be more tangible.


O’s Response:

Lauren Fay is the manager in charge of the (property management) office. If you have something more to tell me as to why I would simply walk into the office and ask for our deposit back maybe I can have something to say or a reason why I would ask for my deposit back when they clearly written on the first page (of our rental agreement) “no cancellation clause” or “break lease clause”.  Please, do tell.



What I said:

Because as my parents and I have discussed, this clause is only valid with permission from the owner.  This does not mean that we can’t cancel it, should the manager be willing to do so.

The office has no incentive to help us out: cancelling our contract would mean the office will have to find new tenants versus having a steady flow of money coming in without question or hassle.  It’s a business and they might not always do it in the best interests.

Also, it will be beneficial to meet Lauren in person because this is regarding money.  Potentially a lot of it.  We’ve known this for a while now and unfortunately, Jon and I aren’t around.  By that virtue, you are the only one capable of making a difference in this scenario.  If you aren’t willing to do so, could you at least find out whether has Lauren received the message and what’s her response? 

We have no timeline on when she will get back to you and that means we can’t act as quickly as preferred.



What I meant to say:

That is why I find you difficult.  You clearly aren’t fighting as hard as the rest of the team, and we need to rely on you for any remote success.  But if you aren’t willing to knuckle down and try a little harder, then what progress will you achieve but null?

If it was up to me to find someone else to do this, I would do so in a heartbeat.  But this isn’t up to me.  So you need to put your grown-up pants on, man the hell up, and quit your incessant complaining.  Your tantrums wear me thin and it abhors me.

I don’t see what the big fuss is about.  You have so much time on your hands now, since your contract with *blank company* ended, so why not put that time to use?  Are you simply going to let the property management take our money from us without trying, even if we don’t have the means to pay them anymore?  Because letting them have it their way is the one thing we are trying not to do (hence this whole hullabaloo). 

The world ain’t easy, straightforward and/or clear cut.  Otherwise we’d all be merry and won’t have this conversation.  Do your damn job.



Love Yourself - Justin Bieber 

No comments: