Wednesday 24 February 2016

Pearly

Today's her birthday.  

The girl with an odd name as such, although rather befitting for her smile.  I met her during my Sunway Uni times, as we have many common friends.  Pearly was the tiniest person of the lot, at nearly 5 feet tall.  Perhaps that's why she stood out.

Her soft-spoken nature and low voice made her seem much smaller than her actual size.  Yet, she commanded attention in the group through respect, and not in a basic b**th sort of way.  She was well-respected throughout the department, even with such a low quota of words ever being mustered from her mouth.

I found that intriguing.  

We've only had one class together, as she was a Finance major while I was in Biomedical Science.  That class was Business Statistics (it was one of my Gen Ed requirement courses).  I remember sitting in that small classroom in day one, when she hurriedly took a seat a matter of seconds before classes started (punctuality was a big thing in Sunway).

As our lecturer was conducting the formalities, introducing herself, stating her qualifications, she stopped short when she saw Pearly.  

"Well, hello there", she exclaimed.  "Pearly Siow, right?"

I noticed that Pearly was slightly taken aback, having been called out.  Embarrassed, Pearly just nodded.

"You're the one who missed the final (for this class) last semester, right?"

You could hear the slight sound of chuckles in the back.  I was guilty of grinning a little (just a tad, promise).  She just flashed a quick smile and our lecturer went back to her business.

Class resumed shortly after that.  And throughout the semester, Pearly outshone the entirety of her peers (of course, that includes me) and aced every single assignment and exam that came her way.  Albeit her quiet and reserved nature, she never showed any aversion to helping others (and there were quite a number of students who needed help).  

It was more interesting to see this person take on a whole new persona whenever she's out partying and clubbing with her group of friends.  If I had matured some 5 years ahead of my time, perhaps I would have overcame my social anxiety and actually got to know her.

Sadly, that would have to wait.  Maybe in another life.

Pearly died from cancer three years ago.  And I miss her more, because I never really knew her.  Rest in peace, Pearly.  Know that you're still loved by everyone in this side of the world.

Evening/Morning - 
Bombay Bicycle Club

No comments: