Saturday 13 February 2016

Ball

Bin the current Malaysian tourism ad. Just use the footage from Ola Bola. All of it.

Yes! I'm writing my first movie review. Whutttttt. Granted I wanted to write this somewhat formally, but since my laptop is buggy, I can't do this with my phone.

Ola Bola bears the tale of the Malaysian national football team of 1980, and their attempts to qualify for the Moscow Olympics.

If was told through the looking glass of three players, namely Tauke, Ali and Muthu. That being said, the story resolves nicely around every other character associated with these three individuals.

Having not seen any of the previous movies done by said director (of which I don't know, yeah - informal), I went into this movie blind of expectation and appreciation. I only knew that he was behind the highly acclaimed movie called "The Journey".

And it was a good thing I did, too! The movie was beautifully shot, panning from the gorgeous Malaysian backdrop to the fully-packed Merdeka Stadium.

Everything the movie was oozed Malaysian roots. Roots of which my parents have lived through, and which I've never experienced. Stretching from the broken Manglish, to the strained economic setting, every scene was meticulously recreated to the Golden Age of Malaysian football.

The show was nothing short of tear-wrenching and difficult scenes. I found it beautiful that every scene was a huge hit on my pathos appeal. Oddly so as well, for each scene of the cast crying made me all teary-eyed myself. Be it from sadness, hope, or pride, every crying moment was well-constructed and full of narratives.

The movie was stellar, even with it's minor flaws. My only two gripes were the song choices as they failed to resonate with the moments in the show, and some football scenes as they were not believable. That being said, these are tiny blips in a proper movie.

What a movie for the fans, by the fans. If only the current football national team had seen this show before their forgettable campaign for the World Cup qualifiers.

Maybe I'll watch The Journey sometime soon.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: