Wednesday 16 March 2016

Plant

It's been eight working days in Port Klang and it's been a drab, sadly. Granted I can't assume to be running the whole place like a pro when I need to learn the way things work, first.

The language barrier is a lot tougher than I thought, too. My abysmal command of Malay makes it hard to convey the message to my team of 13, sometimes. Thankfully my colleague and boss have a tendency to talk in English.

There's loads of nuances when it comes to a QA lab being placed in a production plant. The biggest thing being the various staff from multiple departments in which we have to liaise at one time to get an order through. I was quite shocked to see a fellow friend from Iowa State who had joined the same company, but in the materials planning department.

So here are the misfortunes I've had already. I've lost my work shoes (steel-toed, and HR refuses to get me another one for their hiccup), and that's it. Wow... That took a turn. Yeah, I guess in hindsight work isn't that bad, aside from it being mundane from all the paperwork. I came in just in time for audit season so I've been running around doing donkey work.

But there's literally not much to do in the hostel. It's hot and stuffy, and you can't open the windows as pests will swarm in. My roommates are quiet, and thus far I've been spending my nights either watching movies, listening to podcasts, and grinding on Darkest Dungeon (what can I say, it's a good game). Shows include Spotlight, Creed, The Big Short, and Welcome To The Sticks. I'm looking to add Deadpool to that list soon.

I'm slowly trying out the food from around the place (nothing fancy, of course) and might consider random meet ups later in the future. The jams are bad, since I can only get off over rush hour and the same goes for when I return to DU.

The biggest bummer, is how quickly the weekend just goes by. I read somewhere that it's healthy to have an off day for each week. Last week saw me binge watching Masterchef Canada, four hours straight. It's down to the final four and I'm excited.

I still can't get over my misfortune with the car radio, as they're always blaring the pop music I so strongly dislike (due to their monotony and lack of substance). To make matters worse, my car radio fails to read my pendrive so even a personal playlist doesn't make a difference.

The good news is that I get lots of karaoke practice and shower thoughts while driving. And the most profound notion thus far was the idea of seafaring for months on end. I wonder how that would be like, living in a vessel for months, detached from the world.

That would be quite the experience. Anyway, I am looking forward to my first paycheck and how I can think of personal improvements from there, like books and online courses and whatnot, plus taking out friends for meals. I'm giddy with excitement.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: