Sunday 15 January 2017

500

Happy 500th post/10-year blog anniversary/24th birthday to me!

You could say that I had elaborately planned this all out, but then I'd be lying.

Shout out to Genevieve for having me wrack my brain to do something noteworthy for this milestone post.

Last week, I had watched Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino's new Netflix series Atlanta, and it is a fun mix of eclectic counter-culture criticism, humour, and rap culture.

So a few days ago my hostel room doorknob turned jammy and I couldn't open the door.  Fortunately, I had my now-obsolete credit card with me, and proceeded to pick open the door.  After 20 minutes of grunting and cussing, I finally got it open (much to the relief to me not having to breach that sucker).  This is a further justification that I should take up lock-picking as a skill.

Moreover, I just signed up to hike Mount Kinabalu with Pauline.  It's in early June, so I still have time to train and prep for the hike.  It will be amazing, either way.

As for the Micro Malaysian gig, the list of selected publishers had recently been released, so congratulations to Surya and Yan Chee!  I'll try better next time (to curb my propensity of forgetting deadlines).

Or... I could spend money to get some portable WiFi (my phone can't turn on its mobile hotspot feature, for some reason).  Then again, it's about time to consider changing my phone.  That thing is constantly testing my patience.

So... here are my Micro Malaysian posts.  As a quick reminder, the requirements for these submissions are that they have to relate to Malaysian culture, and only be 150 words long.


1. Amber meets Emerald

Amber.

That colour was created for you. 

Even if I were to forget your short dirty blond hair, the pinched ends to your eyes, your cheeks as they reenacted a chipmunk caching nuts, my Mind Palace continues to cling onto that hue.

I had overlooked your preference of tofu over Nasi Lemak, of baseball over football (soccer… ugh), your fear of needles to my fear of expression… and Trekkie appreciation over whatever it is Star Wars fans call themselves.

But it was all borrowed time.  Reluctantly I had left those fields of opportunity, away from your Minnesotan warmth.

The cabin’s low hum startled me, and I am reminded of my final sight of you: of emerald, engulfing those beautiful eyes as beads trickle down those cheeks, as murmurs creep from your quivering lips.


For the final time, I was left an emerald tint: the shade of an accidental lover.




2. Millennial(s)

“Now, listen”.

His eyes sharpen with purpose. 

Reluctant courage surges through vertebras as his chest expands, fist clenched.

“I’m 23 years old, and can decide for myself.” 

Eyes stare back, muted.  His primal instincts threaten to flood his bloodstream with adrenaline.

Is this fight… or flight?

His mind blanks out.  He goes for it.

“Can’t you see that I’m bloody miserable at work?  I’m overqualified, under-payed, and overworked.  This is absurdity!”

Farewell, composure.

“This archaic Asian belief imposes the flawed notion that I can be happy and succeed if I work hard enough, for long enough.  I won’t be fooled.”

Silence reciprocates.

“From now on, I’m taking charge.  My resignation has been tendered and I’ll move out come the weekend.”


“So how was work this week?” wrinkled hands clasp his.

Clouded irises catch his gaze.

“It was a good week, grandma”.  A crooked smile flashes as his torso tightens.



3. Homecoming

Crunching leaves, strewed across the bricked pavement, emulating the Sun’s colours.  Somehow, death looked beautiful, even for the slightest moment.

Powdered flurries prickling, as his breath forms smokes in the air.  Beneath layers of fabric his heart races, as howling friends glide overhead, lifting reinforced wood onto the hilltops.

The waft of flora, an envoy to ending freeze-thaw cycles.  Opaque facades replaced by plethora of vibrancy, as the synesthesia beckons avian songs.  Her visual palette oftentimes compliment the scent of beautiful women, and anti-histamines.

The blazing Sun, beating down waves of heat and nothing else.  A combination of being microwaved in the day, to barbecue dinners at dusk, of vacant summer classes and intimate relationships.

Finally, a blast of cool air-conditioning races across our/the protagonist.  The loudspeaker dings a familiar prompt:

“To all Malaysians, welcome home”.

But for the past few years, his heart was set on the Western front.


Flippin All Night - ILoveMakonnen

No comments: