Sunday 22 January 2017

Ball

My body opens up to receive the pass, having found a small pocket in the middle of the opposition defense.  Elliot spots my run, and slots one in between the center backs.  The ball was a little behind my right foot, as I tried to readjust to control it.  And as the sole of my shoe makes contact with the ball, the ankle buckles and the ball turns into a pincushion, sending a familiar pain up the leg.

I'm out of the futsal session for the day.  And it's only been two minutes.  I suspect that it's just a minor twist, so ignorantly I continued playing for the remainder of the two-hour session.

"Last goal!" shouted TJ as the lights went out, signalling the end of our day.  At this point the pain is becoming more apparent, as the adrenaline begins to wane off.  Having used my weaker left foot since the injury, I felt that it was time for a proper sending off.  Up to this point, I've seen two shots hit the post and a swerving shot from range tipped over by an alert keeper.

I wanted a goal.

Play resumed as Yin Xun starts at the left flank.  The other two teammates had occupied the box as they looked to saturate the left side.  Starting from the middle of the pitch, I ran down the right side, hoping to add some width to the attack.  Yin Xun spots the run, and lays the ball wide right.

As the ball travels straight towards me, I take a quick look around.  No player  within reaching distance.  Plenty of time for the strike.  I contemplated curling the shot with my left foot, but the ball was moving across my body.

Screw it.  My right foot's a goner anyway.  

I side-foot the ball, driving my foot through the ball as the opposition looks by.  The shot was driven low, and bobbles towards the keeper's right side, and nestles into the back of the net.  

I'd be celebrating with a fist pump by then, if I wasn't on the ground wincing in pain.  If my foot wasn't messed up then, it certainly is now.

Afterwards, it was revealed that I might have a sprain instead.  The swollen ankle is a dead giveaway.

Do I regret this?  Kind of.

But I would rather give my all for the sport I love to being restrained.

Chinese New Year is gonna be a little bit more tricky, though.

Hit It and Quit It - Funkadelic

No comments: