Sunday 1 April 2012

Disgust

There I was that Saturday night, happily singing songs all by myself when a cockroach appeared from beneath my study table and crawled up the wall I was facing.  My song ended with "laaaaa ---  wooaahh!!".  As I leaped from my seat and grabbed the travel pamphlet of Gold Coast intended to be recycled.  

With a bottle if disinfectant on one hand and the makeshift weapon on the other, I spritzed the abomination face first.  To my fears, it was the flying type, as it flew to the floor.  I hesitated, thinking of not whether to leave an assured stain of hemolymph should I strike to kill with the first blow.  It made a mad dash for the toilet, and I went for the kill.  SMACK!  I got it. Victor once again, albeit unconvincingly.

With adrenaline coursing through my veins, I disposed of the body and walked back to my study desk.  Then another one scrambled towards my feet.  Like the cockroach-fearing OCD person I am, I jumped backwards, exclaiming a loud "WHOA!".  My brother next door grew concerned and yelled back:  "WHAT?!".  "There's a cockroach," I said, as I smacked it dead.  Then I heard more scratching noises.  It wasn't good news.

I only managed a glimpse of the third pest squeezing itself pass the small gap between my insect net before I panicked.  Immediately I hollered out to my brother for help as there were more at the other side of the net.  The worse part, I couldn't seal the gap.  With his help, he (almost) singlehandedly took out another THREE roaches, before proceeding back to sleep.

Fearing that there may be more, I slept in his room on the hardwood floor.  Sleep was incredibly uncomfortable, but it was a heck a lot better than dealing with those disgusting insects.  Too bad that wasn't the end.

This morning I went back to the room to assess the severity of the damage.  The result, 25, YES TWENTY GODDAMN FIVE cockroaches clumping together between the shower panels of our bathroom.  It took us an hour and a lot of messiness to kill them all.  As for why they came in, I had no idea.  It wasn't for the food, and I think the entry of one acted like a domino effect, leaving a trail of filth for others to follow.

Well, my brother had to leave so I cleaned up all the mess from my room, to the bathroom, to his.  It wasn't pleasant, but I did the job.  I vacuumed the place, then used a broom, followed by another round of mopping, finishing it off with copious amounts of disinfectant everywhere.  After that, I totally sealed off my windows so no more problems would enter my room.  Even at the expense of fresh air, I didn't care.

Never do I wish to experience this again.  I may just die from the cleanliness OCD in me.  Well, just another day in life.  Not a particularly enjoyable one, though.

Lofticries - Purity Ring

No comments: