Tuesday 8 May 2012

Pride

I bumped into my uber extroverted, vocal friend, Aneez earlier this morning at the Student Center.  She was rather hungry so I offered some of my complimentary mega sandwich (which was pretty meh, by my standards.  Soooo not worth 10 stamps).

She kindly turned it down, and I resumed my "Avatar: The Last Airbender" marathon on my notebook.  Henry, who was next to me, was busy doing his psychology questionnaire.  Somewhere in the middle of the episode, I noticed that she was laughing at me.  Curious, I removed my noise-cancelling earphones and asked her what was up.

Still laughing, she just said: "Aww, Fang.   You're so adorable lah."

Sure, I was taken aback.  But this is the Aneez we're talking about.  She tells it to you straight to your face, whether it be good and (hopefully not) bad.  So I replied, with slight reluctance "Uh, thanks."

She added: "You know, you're so nice and kind, almost like a gentleman.".  Let's be honest here, who doesn't like compliments?  Moreover from a guy with a slight case of low self-esteem.  "Any girl would be so lucky to have you as a boyfriend.  To take good care of her and all.", she added.

At the spur of the moment, I replied with a little chuckle: "If only she knew.".

Aneez had heard the gist of this story before, so she just said "It's okay" and some synonym for "there, there" (which I can't recall what exactly).

Well, it's nice to take a compliment, without that pinch of salt this time.
Get Over It - Guillemots

No comments: