Tuesday 7 August 2012

Appreciation

We, the ADTP Student Committee, visited the Orang Asli settlement at Trolak, Perak to hand over the Nokero solar-powered lamps.  They will benefit greatly from the lamps as their time for studies and reading is limited when the sun sets.  These lamps can change all that, and it runs on clean energy.

Going for the trip, I didn't know what to expect.  But the people there were very receptive of our arrival and invited us with open arms.  Vic and I had the honor of having lunch with the village head, Tok Batin, as the others were fasting for Ramadhan.  We also played with the kids there and went waterfall hiking with them.  Believe you me, they're all incredibly agile, as we struggled to keep up with their pace, as they jump from rock to rock, across streams.  I slipped on a rock covered in algae and scraped my foot a little, to my embarrassment.

We left in the afternoon from an amazing experience.  It was great to know that our cause was not only beneficial to some, but also much needed and appreciated.  I mean, if you hand a solar-powered lamp to a city-person, the effect will be entirely different, even the appreciation level.


Later that evening, I had the chance to play my last game of football at the nearby community park.  Roger and I got battered, as I had lumps kicked into me and he tanked many strong shots (he was keeper), but we did well.  Heck, we gave the opposition a run at the later half of the game, gaining the lead for the first time.  We were playing out of our skins, and the opposition grew more and more frustrated, to the point of self-imploding.  Sadly we couldn't capitalize on that (we're still just two players) and the match ended 3-1.  But it could've gone the other way on any other day, as Roger chose a very much makeshift side against a strong team.

My shins are both aching and my foot is a bit sore, but I have no regrets that day.  It was really a fairytale ending for me at DU Court.  And I got whacked badly by Roger in FIFA 12 later that night.


The Phoenix Alive (Kris Menace Mix) - Monarchy

No comments: