Thursday 16 August 2012

Strolls

I'm sorry I couldn't write sooner!  Well I'm still having orientation (even now) and I moved in some few days ago.  I've a little bit of spare time now so here I am, blogging.


The city of Ames is very spacious.  It's just flat lands, with fields of corn, corn, corn, and more corn.  Campus is huge as well!  Like, two-fold-of-the-vicinity-of-Sunway-Pyramid huge.  But it's green and since it's summertime, the weather is cool at about 26 C.  Under the sun though, it feels just like Malaysia.  So whatever aspirations I had about getting rid of my tan has gone out of the window.

It's a long walk from one end of campus to another, about 30 minutes or so.  Fortunately there's a very efficient bus system which covers most of the buildings on campus, even off campus to the convenience stores.  Unlike Malaysia, these buses are punctual down to the minute.  It's free for Iowa State U students with an ISU ID, but since we're paying for the resources, it's technically not "free" per say.


The environment is very green here, with large trees everywhere offering shade and fresh air.  Moreover campus is smoke-free so all the air you breathe in is clean and fresh, so walking around campus isn't that taxing.  In fact, there's a lake situated at the heart of campus called Lake La Verne.  There's a flock of ducks and swans around that lake, and a pair of the swans (known as Lancelot and Elaine) are part of tradition around here.  I've also witnessed some rabbits and squirrels happily hopping about on campus itself!

My residential hall is a bit small, but it's manageable.  Since my block is the freshman block, I get to see many international students, mainly Chinese.  And although it's slightly isolated from the main campus, the bus system does help a lot.  Even a casual walk will take you 15 minutes to reach the main campus so I can't complain.  I walked home yesterday from the opposite side of campus at 7.45 pm and it was as bright as day!  And the sun wasn't glaring down at me so couple that with a nice breeze, and you get a very pleasant walk all the way back home.


One thing that I must mention about ISU is that there's thrash compactors everywhere around campus.  They're solar powered and can store up to 5 times the original amount of waste by compressing it.  So it's very green and energy efficient.  Furthermore every building has a water dispenser so that everyone can quench their thirst, and although it may be a small thing, I really like it.

People here are nice and are very friendly.  And it's different from Malaysia in the sense that they can easily strike up a conversation.  I think it's the Asian mentality to be more reserved, so we don't usually chit-chat that much, but the Americans are very sociable, which is a good thing.  



Oh, I think my resident assistant is hot.  Haha!!  I mean, blonde hair, green eyes, MY HEIGHT.  So nice!!  And there was this one time when I was walking around campus and suddenly this horde of girls started appearing.  About hundreds of them strolling down the same path (some of them quite pretty, but that's besides the point).  It was interesting...  hahaha!!  I think they're from the fraternities so it was quite some eye candy there!  As a consolation to girls reading this post, it's a common sight to see hot, topless guys jogging around or playing sports, so don't feel too left out.  The moderator for the "guy-hotness" radar was Cassie, so there is a degree of standards involved.



My roommate just moved in about an hour ago so they place is fully furnished now.  My only complain is that my fridge (yes, I can claim it mine now) is right behind my seat so it's a bit of a hassle to open the fridge door.  But exchange that for a Nintendo Gamecube and a 26" TV and a futon?  I'll grab that.



That's all for today.

Club Foot - Kasabian

No comments: