Friday 27 June 2014

Ward

After another normal soccer session with friends, I find myself the following morning having excessive weakness in my arms and calves, not being able to prop myself up nor to even crawl on all fours.

Now, this isn't the first time that this had happened: this was the fourth. Now the previous three just saw me sleeping it off, but this case drew the last straw. Thus with the help of Ban Joo, I paid the Thielen Student Health Center a visit. Of all the potential outcomes I have pictured, the chain of events that followed were no where near my expectations.

The doctor, Dr. Frischke, was perplexed with my symptoms. No pain, fever, tick bites nor night sweats; only weakness. After having blood tests and an EKG, I had critically low potassium levels (1.6 of the normal level 3.5). Now for a bit of biology: potassium channels in cell surfaces play a part in muscle activity. Low potassium leads to weakened muscles.

Fearing heart failure due to the low potassium, I had been rushed to the hospital for further testing. Now, this was my first time being admitted to the hospital, and to top it off I was sent via an ambulance due to my inability to walk. Jarod and Jim, the paramedics took good care of me and kept me comfortable for my quick drive to Mary Greeley Hospital.

There was a long series of tests once I was.admitted, including three more blood extractions (two venous blood and one arterial, which hurt like Hell), heartbeat monitors, periodical blood pressure checks, consuming some nasty concoction for my potassium deficiency (which tasted all too much like a jello shot) and some paperwork. In between, I snuck two naps as I had nothing else to do, resulting in two nurse wakey-uppies.

Once I was seen by the two doctors working on me, I was finally moved to my personal ward, which was very fancy. Apparently I was moved to the new wing, which looks much more like an apartment in Mont Kiara, with nice wooden flooring and square terrazo tiles in the restroom, with a wall-hung big screen TV and proper lighting matched by the air-conditioning.

The nurse who was part of my care team hooked me up on an IV (which also hurt a tad) to replenish my magnesium and potassium levels. Note, at this point, I was poked five times, in different regions in both my arms. Good thing I'm accustomed to blood donations. She also mentioned that I probably have Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis, leading to a over-depletion of potassium. This was a rare disorder and no one in my family has this. Being a genetic disorder, this condition is a gut-wrenching reality.

I also donned an over-sized gown, touching my ankles and exposing my chest when I stand upright. As a precaution, I was (and currently am) strapped to a portable heart monitor, with many sticker-tags spreading from my left side across my heart, lungs, all the way to my right side. At this point I've gained all muscular functions again and can freely move about. The question is how long I can maintain the proper levels of potassium.

So now I'm stuck here overnight with a super comfy bed and a Season 3 recap marathon of Castle, and 7 buck meals for virtually a whole bunch of food. Now if only I can lay on my side without the EKG cables being uncomfortable or detach (could make someone assume I'm dead, which is a no-no).

I'll be consulting my doctor tomorrow on the nitty gritty stuff regarding my condition. Fingers crossed. Before I snooze, here are a couple of pics.





*update as of 3rd July*

I met with ANOTHER doctor (nextdoor to Mary Greeley) and they are pretty sure it's hyperthyroidism.  It is also noted that hyperthyroidism can lead to lowered potassium levels, which can cause hypokalemic periodic paralysis.  Upon another checkup by two endocrinologist, it was noted that my thyroid has swelled to three times the normal size.  Right now, I'm under medication to reduce my thyroid's activity and beta blockers to prevent heart failure (again, potassium is involved in muscle activity).  I've to avoid three weeks of vigorous activity (heartbroken) and not consume too much carbs, until the next follow-up appointment with the same endocrinologist.  Well, at least it isn't rare anymore.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: