Sunday 8 June 2014

Watch

Another semester brings another challenge.  I've attended my first Iowa State commencement ceremony, and have said many goodbyes to some of my closest friends.  A year from now, and the roles will be reversed, with me myself donning the graduation gown.

Summer has been one heck of a ride thus far.  In a simple breakdown, ASM2014 in Boston was amazing.  The event was "dangerously informative", and the culture shown in the city was just breathtaking.  I even got to meet up with my cousin, whom I haven't seen in years.  It was a crazy five-day drive from Iowa all the way to Massachusetts, but it was a nice, bumpy, bonding moment with 11 others from the Microbiology Club.  

6 hours after my return saw me heading back the same way to Bloomington, Indiana for the Malaysian Midwest Games.  It was a very forgettable event, as the overall event was poor, with lousy management and appalling meals.  I went there to play soccer with some random bunch of friends (and strangers)  for the Michigan Wolverines.  They will go on to be overall champions for MMG, without any contribution from me and the soccer team.  We got battered, simply put, and team chemistry was non-existent.  The event was chock-full of lessons, if anything.

Unfortunately, the lab I used to work in had lack of funding from the department, and they had to let all undergraduate lab assistants go.  It was a tough day for me, as Steve, my boss meant a lot to me.  He looked after me and gave me a shot when most people would have turned me down, being an International student, and for that I've gained invaluable experience over the past year working with him in the Food Safety Research Lab.  

Which brings me to the present, I'm doing well, having a spanking new laptop (MSI GS60 Ghost).  I'm doing Summer classes to complete my minor and a bothersome elective.  So far, I've no big projects: restoring conditions to my torn bags and pants, storing stuff for friends over Summer, discovering the Civil War era to the Marvel Universe, catching up on movies and TV shows (btw, Season 2 of Hannibal was phenomenal!), and re-discovering Chicago in the tech-savvy new platformer, Watch_Dogs.

So yeah, that's it from me for now.  Toodles!

I Believe In You (Je crois en tu) - Il Divo and Celine Dion

No comments: