Monday 16 March 2015

Wichita

So there it goes. The conclusion of the 3rd Annual AiSO National Conference. Part of me is relieved, from the shakey start we had, but most of me is saddened that I was too busy running the conference to get to know these participants.

But this post isn't about that.

I was walking home to the beautiful sunset the evening after the conference had ended and came across two kids playing catch in my housing area. I flashed him a smiled, greeting him as I pull my earphones away from where they were.

He stops and smiles back, holding a blue bouncing ball, the ones with the tail-like protrusions. Then, we talked.

He asked where I was from, stating that he and his younger brother had moved here from Kansas. I replied accordingly, stating my home country. In response he asks: "Is it further than Wichita (to Ames)?". I responded with a resounding nod: "Why yes, much further away than Wichita".

Upon leaving him to continue playing with his younger brother, the kid asked: "Would you be my friend?". And it struck me. To take a step back, look at the big picture and realize how well-off I am, how privileged I was, that I overlook even the simplest things in life.

Needless to say, he might just be the most important friend I've met. I baded my farewells and headed home, with a tear in my eye, and the most sincerest of feelings overdue.

Life is beautiful.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: