Monday 16 November 2015

Paris

Yes, this is a few days late, but I didn't actually want to talk about this. Not because I'm shying away from conflicts and whatnot, but because I do not want to misinform others or send the wrong message.

*Disclaimer. This is evidently an IMO (in my opinion).*

In case you were wondering, Paris had a mass shooting and hundreds of lives were taken, and ISIS claims to be involved in this. Around the same time, there were attacks in Beirut and Baghdad as well.

So Facebook had this thing whereby you can create a profile picture of the French flag in support of these hard times. And wrongly so (I'll get to my opinion soon), this angers many people, as the media only focuses on one matter. Besides those bombings and shootings, there were other tragedies which have occurred, with Japan and Mexico experiencing earthquakes, and the mass shooting which took part in Nigeria as well.

*edit on the following day. I'm just going to put an "et cetera" when listing locations, because it's just so important (sarcasm) to include everyone. Otherwise I'm just a one-sided person, you know? (waaaay more sarcasm)*

Basically, people are upset that we care more for France (because Facebook introduced that photo option). Can we blame France for that? Can we blame Facebook for that? Because it seems to be a case of egocentrism and ethnocentrism all over again. This... Is what ultimately upsets me.

If you can criticize me for valuing France over the others, then shame on you. I value all human life, be it from the north, south, east or west of Earth (and maybe someday, beyond that). Why can't I exercise my freedom of choice to support France? Who are you to come in and say that supporting them through a tough time is the wrong thing to do?

It doesn't mean that me supporting France leads me to forgo everyone else. Yes, I feel sad for Beirut, for Japan, for Mexico, for Nigeria, for Baghdad, for FUCKING Palestine and Israel! Does that mean that you're any better than me?

A resounding "no". So stop mucking about with false democratization of your own approval by cherry picking your friends or followers on social media and leading your own crusade to shun everybody else. Stop getting on your social media high horse and exclaim to the world be a better person, then expect to be revered as a rebel with a cause.

Just fucking act as a better person yourself. Pricks.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: