Wednesday 25 November 2015

Preview

As I peered out the window of the small jet, shrugging off a brief nap and listening to Rhett & Link on their Earbiscuits podcast, I'm met with an unfamiliar scene: beyond the veil of an 8 pm winter day, snow-capped mountains slowly pass by as the plane slaloms to an eventual descent. Beyond the mountains, lay the warm glow of Salt Lake City. I was in Utah, albeit only for a brief period. We were on transit to Portland, Oregon.

The view of a glistening city, poses a stark contrast of the largely spaced-out backdrop of a minimally light-polluted Des Moines. It got me wondering: why am I still travelling around the U.S., when I'll be leaving for Malaysia in a couple of weeks?

Why am I willing to spend time outside of self-learning and improvement, via online courses, and utilize the time to travel? Why am I somewhat okay with spending my parents money more, since I've been doing so in remaining in Ames, even though I don't have work authorization here?

Three things: because I can spend quality time with friends (in this case, with Adli, Hanan and Juana) who I can cherish for the longest time. And secondly, because I still have the capacity to see the world for its culture. Lastly, because I love my parents and am grateful for their uobringing of me. As such, I will repay them indefinitely.

Call this an investment for my personal development. Portland, here we come.

*edit: forgot to post this while in Utah. So I'm positing this in Portland*

Midway through my flight, I realized that I forgot to bring my facial wash. What made things worse was that the place had no toiletries, so I'll have to get some at Wal-Mart later.

The flight was less remarkable than the previous one, mainly because I unintentionally fell asleep and missed out on the complementary peanuts and apple juice. Damn it.

That being said, the place looks posh! We got it off airbnb and hopefully I can show it off when we make the travel video. Yep, I borrowed Justin's GoPro to film the trip.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: