Thursday 3 September 2015

Control

Lately I've been blogging quite a lot. I suppose it's a good sign: it means I'm letting out more and not bottling it up inside.

I wanted to write/talk about control. Mainly, emotional self-control. That might be having the discipline to not say the hurtful things when annoyed, or to not raise your voice and lose your temper when upset.

Discipline, to me, is what sets you apart from others when dealing with the pressure life constantly hurls at you; it is what makes or breaks you from being a better, bigger person (and not in a derogatory way that undermines others).

It is proven psychologically that children raise their voices to gain attention. This however, usually degrade's one's position, as it subconsciously shows the compensation taken to cover up their mistake.

When faced with an unfavorable situation, the best way to tackle the issue is to be calm about it. If someone insults you, it would probably be more beneficial to understand their reasoning behind it rather than going defensive and shooting back insults. The latter always leads to escalation, which is a huge no-no in any conflict situation.

The best way, is to take the verbal punishment, and tolerate it. Be calm about it, and speak with composure. Now, it's also good to speak your mind if you don't want recurrences. Note to be careful of what you say, as in the end, it's always a case of respect.

Everyone, including the robber in that dodgy alleyway, wants respect. Although sometimes they don't deserve it, it doesn't mean that you have the right to take that away from them.

Needless to say, this post stems from an altercation between two of my housemates regarding money one owes the other. Yes, it's a sensitive topic, which is why it should be approached with care, respect, and control.

Thanks to my gift of having ridiculous amounts of empathy, I'm adversely affected, too. Just had to ruin my damn day.

So keep your emotions in check. Don't go ruining someone else's day. You might deserve it, but they sure as hell don't.

On a sidenote, I feel like I should write another short story soon. Seems like I'm missing that: emotional rant - check, life update - check, poetic/ambiguous segment - check, short story of randomness - pending.

Well, onward and upward.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: