Tuesday 1 September 2015

Effect

Unfortunately the WiFi at the my new place is being a toolbag to my laptop. So I'll just have to resort to blogging via Bloggeroid on my phone.

I've recently had numerous chatters with Chin from back home, for the past few days. Among the things we've talked about, the Westermarck Effect was brought up.

To sum it up, it is defined as a "hypothetical psychological effect through which people who live in close domestic proximity during the first few years of their lives become desensitized to sexual attraction."

And when I think about it, it makes sense from my relationship/love life standpoint. I'm the kind of guy that needs to be a friend before I can be something more. And whoever I fall for is mainly the people I interact with the most. Student councils, academics, whatever.

Maybe I'm not living in close proximity, or that I am not forward enough with people. But I've known these people so well, for so long, that I've seen them less as friends.

I see them more as family.

And that's what they are to me, still. Family, who I cannot rank less of, than that. You see, my ranking of intimacy goes from friend, to partner, to family. And I can't date family. That's like going after my sister (blergh!).

And you just can't have a step down as easily as it is to move up the rung. Especially living away from family, my friends become my support group. And that may be just it.

Or it's just another excuse to comfort myself. Anyway, I'll live. It's worked out so far.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: