Monday 25 July 2016

Scout

It seems like a growing trend for me to sacrifice sleep for movies and video games, a compromise which I'm willing to make as much as it is a detriment to my health.  Hopefully today can be the start of that change.

I wanted to talk about my recent get-together with Eirene and Heang Lee, two individuals whom I share quite little with during my time knowing them in secondary school, bonded only through our involvement in the 73rd Petaling Scouts Movement.

We had met up at a mamak nearby, having not seen Eirene for over five years.  I haven't seen Heang in just over four years, having visited her university for an intramural among Malaysian students around the Midwest region.

They're both doing great, with Heang recently starting work with the Women's Aid Organization of Malaysia, and Eirene having returned from a semester abroad in Japan.  

The long absence of our company didn't dampen the occasion, as we had many discussions on human rights, U.S. politics, culture shock (and the reverse), society and whatnot.  

Well, I was mainly listening.  Those two are just too eloquent and brilliant for me to keep up with.  Heck, they had deconstructed and analyzed the very organizational dynamics of our scouts troop there and then, identifying key power markers and outliers to the phenomenon, exposing flaws to the hierarchy of things and its repercussions on our understanding of duty and responsibility in our teens.

The moment they started exchanging authors and their books, was when I was truly lost.  Because I've lost that touch of reading.  And that sucks.  It became apparent that I'm in need of serious reading.

So from now on, I'll take more effort to get off the Internet and computer, and read more books and less Quora.  For today, I'll be reading my Medical Microbiology textbook, with regards to food microbiology.  I think I should start mentioning what I'm reading, so that I read something before posting it here.

Moreover, I had attended another gathering for the Malaysian ISU Alumni and it was great to meet so many figures who are established in their careers.  We're trying to form an association for networking fresh grads with the more experienced folks, so I'd like to get involved with that.  We'll see.

Lastly, I've registered for the Penang Bridge Marathon happening at November end.  I think I'm more excited in exploring Penang than the run.  Although I should really start training for that, instead of playing football.

Lost Boy - Ruth B

No comments: